Fast forward to last week when Fred and I started talking about cloth again. The beauty of cloth diapers is that 1. they're cute! 2. they are better for the environment 3. the cost less money (even factoring in laundering) 4. they're better for children/babies (the absorbent gel in disposable has been known to cause prostrate cancer, lovely! and 5. did I mention they were cute? A majority of people use regular disposable diapers. Some use them because the idea of cloth grosses them out, some use them because they tried cloth and didn't like it, some use them because they are "easier". Did you know that human waste (poop) isn't supposed to be thrown into the trash? When it sits in landfills it seeps into the ground and pollutes the water. When you flush the toilet, that water goes to a water facility to be treated and made safe. Most people don't know that. On the Pampers website it actually tells consumers to shake the stool into the toilet and then dispose of the diaper. I guarantee many don't know that.
Cloth has changed a lot in the last few years. Its no more wet pails and diaper pins with vinyl covers. If you've ever looked into cloth you know how overwhelming it can be, there are tons of options! And if you haven't, you'd be pleasantly surprised! We decided to try cloth again for a few reasons (its better for the kids & environment and it costs less money, oh and its cute!). We ordered a trial package from Denver Diaper Co. They send you a variety of types, you try them for 2 weeks and you can then return them all for your money back. All you loose is the cost of shipping ($9.60).
I got Elijah's new cloth on Friday and was in love when I opened the box, it was all prepped and ready to go. So cute, so squishy! We decided to wait to try it on Sunday when we were both here all day and could see how it works. We ended up getting from the trial a thirsties fab fitted, a thirsties cover, 2 unbleached indian prefolds, a one size happy heiny, a one size knickernappie, and a drybees all in one. When Elijah woke up this morning I immediately put him in the thirsties fab fitted and cover. He looked so cute but I didn't get a picture, it was way too early for pictures lol. Wouldn't you know that his first diaper he had to christin! I ended up cleaning it and really, it was no big deal. It didn't gross me out at all. No different then changing a regular poop diaper to begin with.
Next I put him in a one size knickernappie. One size means it fits newborn to toddler, you just adjust the snaps. He looked cute and really liked it! See picture.
Up next was the drybees, it was so cute! I love this diaper, too bad its not a OS (one size). See picture.
After that he went into a prefold, it was so easy to put on and just clipped with a snappi and put the thirsties cover over it. I didn't get a good picture of this, he was cranky. He just went to bed in a Happy Heiny. And no picture of that either. I am actually sad to go back to disposables tomorrow while I wash the cloth. How silly is that? LOL
I am officially addicted, as is Fred. We're sold!
No comments:
Post a Comment